- 1932 Arthur Taubman purchases Advance Stores Company, a chain of two stores in Roanoke and one in Lynchburg. He promptly closes the second store in Roanoke, which was located only three blocks from the first.
- 1935 The Social Security Act passes.
- 1938 Advance Stores Company expands into Winston-Salem, North Carolina, signaling the beginning of the company's multi-state growth.
- 1938 Advance begins carrying toys for the holiday season, often offering a town's largest selection.
- 1941 World War II begins. Like other retailers, Advance Stores has to reinvent itself in order to stay afloat.
- 1948 Cordovan Associates, a consortium of independent retailers in the automotive aftermarket, is co-founded by Arthur Taubman.
- 1956 Nick Taubman comes to work full-time as assistant buyer for tires.
- 1957 Nick Taubman enlists in the army for a year of service. He returned for a second year from 1960-61.