- 1901 Arthur Taubman is born in Astoria, New York
- 1909 George Pepperdine starts the Western Auto Supply Agency, a mail-order service specializing in automotive parts.
- 1916 Arthur Taubman enlists in the U.S. Navy at the age of 15.
- 1920 Taubman Stores is incorporated in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- 1921 Pep Auto Supply, or "Pep Boys," opens in Philadelphia.
- 1922 Arthur Taubman is discharged from the U.S. Navy and enters the auto supply business with his brother.
- 1929 The founders of the Pep Boys open Advance Stores, LLC., with two stores in Roanoke and one in Lynchburg, Virginia.
- 1932 April 29, 1932 - Arthur Taubman purchases Advance Stores and begins his successful drive to build a multi-state chain of auto and home supply stores.